Skip to main content
dental emergency

Dental emergencies in East Kilbride

What to do in a dental emergency

If you are experiencing unusual or excessive bleeding, trauma or swelling, seek help immediately.

During working hours, call us on 01355 222 173 and we will do everything we can to see you as soon as possible.

Out of hours, call the NHS on 111 – this service is staffed by experienced advisers and healthcare professionals who will be able to direct you towards the best course of action.


Urgent appointments

Common urgent problems include toothache, lost fillings or crowns and denture problems. Please phone us on the day for availability and we will do our best to make sure you are seen as soon as possible.

mouth ulcer


What should I do if I have toothache?

Keep your mouth clean by rinsing it with warm water. If it is swollen, place a cold compress on your cheek. Take paracetamol or ibuprofen for the pain. NEVER put aspirin or any other painkiller directly on the gum – this will actually cause burns. Then call Greygables to book your emergency appointment.

What do I do if my permanent tooth has been knocked out?

Hold the tooth by the crown, not the root end, and try and rinse it clean, but don’t scrub it. Do not remove any attached fragments of tissue. If you can, try and put the tooth back in its place, ensuring it is facing the right way, and bite on a clean towel to hold it there. Doing this within five minutes means your tooth is 85% more likely to survive, compared to very few teeth that are stored dry and reimplanted after an hour. If you can’t put the tooth back in place, submerge it in a cup of milk. If you don’t have milk, saliva is also effective.

What do I do if my child’s milk tooth has been knocked out?

Don’t attempt to put the tooth back in its socket, as this could risk damaging the permanent tooth underneath. Instead, try and stop the bleeding by applying gentle pressure with gauze or a muslin for around 10 minutes. Give your child paracetamol or ibuprofen for the pain, but never place aspirin or any other painkiller directly on the gums, as this can cause them to burn.

What do I do if I have chipped or broken my tooth?

Ring Greygables during opening hours and we will see you as soon as possible to decide on the best course of emergency action. This could include filing the tooth down so that it is smooth, rebuilding it with a resin material, or removing it. We’ll advise you on your options for tooth restoration if required.

What do I do if something is stuck between my teeth?

If you can’t remove the object yourself using dental floss, contact Greygables immediately. Do not attempt to remove the object with anything sharp, like a pin, as you’ll risk hurting your gums or damaging the tooth enamel.

What do I do if my braces have broken?

If a brace wire has come loose, try using the rubber end of a pencil to push it into a more comfortable position. If this isn’t possible, try covering the wire with dental wax, a small cotton ball or a piece of gauze until you can get to Greygables. Never cut the wire, as you could end up swallowing or inhaling it.